Motion Control for the film industry made its most significant advances in the 90's. Kuper and Flair are capable but expensive. DragonFrame is aimed at stop motion.
Mantis is the best and most affordable professional real-time Motion Control software. It is a user friendly, dedicated solution, field tested on professional film sets.
Mantis is based on a powerful and accurate Dynomotion Kflop processor. Internal processing is double precision math with a high processing rate. Motor step control signals can be generated at up to 500khz. The program will run on any Windows laptop, also under "Parallels" on a Mac. The controller supports up to 8 axes of accurate coordinated motion and is compatible with all step motor drivers and many servo drives. It also has external connections for encoders, camera triggers, external sync inputs and general purpose outputs. Mantis is in use around the world in over 10 countries. The controller is supplied as part of a total package with free advice and updates - please contact me for details.
Mantis II - 8 motor channels with unlimited keyframes...
- Supports accurate recording from 8 inputs. Options include - Encoders, and Joystick / gamepad devices.
- Instant playback as slow as you like, and up to 600 fps.
- Easy intuitive Timelapse SMS and continous motion blur modes.
- Intuitive mouse control of keyframed curves with real time feedback. Zoom, scroll, add, move, delete keys.
- Import and Export Kuper .asc, Nuke .chan and Maya .ma. Provides a direct pipeline to Maya, AfterEffects, Nuke, Blender 3Ds Max and more.
- Audio wav and Mp3 file synchronised playback - clumsy external sync systems are not required.
- Phase accurate sync to video or frame pulse from most film and digital cameras.
- Direct control of DSLR shutters.
- Programmable trigger outputs for switching external devices.
- DMX lighting module using an ENNTEC Open DMX USB interface. (Must be purchased separately.)
The curve editor allows axis curve creation and editing. The velocity and acceleration curves provide insight into how your rig will behave in real time.
The setup tab allows setting the technical parameters for motor axes, control inputs and GPO's.
The new DMX module allows control of any DMX fixture with HSL for easy adjustment of 3 colour lights.
Mantis requires a USB motion controller which handles all physical inputs and outputs.
The internal Kflop processor allows true repeatable realtime control.